Some time ago we published a blog entitled, "CUTTING TAP CHAMFER 101”. It described what the chamfer’s purpose is, and what standard lengths are offered on off the shelf taps. They are Bottoming, Plug, and Taper. This blog builds on that information and goes into more depth so you can optimize the chamfer based on your application. Although we stock many common special taps with standard chamfer lengths, we can design and manufacture a special tap for your application. Optimizing the chamfer results in, longer tap life, reduced tapping torque, better finish, and make the difference
Ever wonder what the difference is between an NPT (National Pipe Taper) and NPTF (National Pipe Taper Fuel) threads are? It’s not just the spelling.
They are both the same in many ways,
- both are used to carry fluids and gasses
- both have the same diameter, thread per inch combination, sizes, 1/16-27, 1/8-27, ¼-18, etc.
- both have an included thread angle of 60 degrees.
- both have a thread that tapers 3/4 per inch per foot or 1/16 per inch.
- both have flatted crest and roots
- both have the same pitch