Spiral point design features an angled cutting face which forces chips forward, ahead of the tap cutting action. Often called a ‘gun tap’ due to the action of ‘shooting’ chips forward.
- Spiral point taps are recommended for use in through-hole applications or in blind holes where there is enough clearance beyond the tapped portion to accommodate chip collection.
- Reduces chip loading in the flutes and prevents thread damage.
- Allows a free flow of coolant along the flutes to the cutting edges.
- The spiral point tap has a shallower flute passage than conventional taps which allows more cross sectional area for greater strength, higher tapping speeds , and requires less power to operate.
- North American Tool spiral point taps are available in many thread forms and styles such as metric sizes and extension taps. Numerous performance enhancing coatings are available.
- Special spiral point taps can be designed and manufactured to specific requirements. Consult our customer service team.